Monday, November 8, 2010

Hello Monday!

So I didn't get to do any baking this weekend, which is probably good, since there were plenty of my PB&J cupcakes left; but I did have some kitchen success on Saturday evening.  I had taken out chicken (again) for dinner, but had absolutely no idea how I wanted to prepare it.  I asked my Hubby for any suggestions. He makes a face and says, "Honestly? I'm really craving Outback."  At first I just laughed because dinner for 6 at Outback is nowhere near in our budget right now, but then I jumped online and searched for the recipe for one of our favorites at Outback, Alice Springs Chicken. I sent Hubby to the store with a list of the ingredients we didn't have on hand, and crossed my fingers that I could manage the recipe without completely ruining it.  Nothing about the recipe was overly difficult, but there's a lot going on at the same time, which I don't usually do.  Hubby got back from the store and I got to work.  I wish I had thought to get the camera out, because a half hour later I had produced a dish that looked, smelled, and tasted EXACTLY like Outback's Alice Springs Chicken!  Hubby and I were in taste bud heaven.  And we only spent about $12 for four servings!  The only downside?  The kids wouldn't touch it, even after I took off all the toppings.  AAAHHH!  Oh well, I guess next time I'll have to throw some chicken nuggets in the oven for them, because there will definitely be a next time!

Outback's Alice Springs Chicken

Honey Mustard Marinade and dipping sauce (I didn't have time to marinade and it came out great, if you do want to marinate the chicken, I suggest doubling the sauce recipe so you have enough to dip later!)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup honey (I used a little more)
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
salt, pepper, and paprika
8 slices cooked bacon
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley

1. Use an electric mixer to combine the Dijon mustard, honey, vegetable oil, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whip the mixture for about 1 minute.
2. Pour about 2/3 of the marinade over the chicken breasts and marinate them covered, in the refrigerator for at least 30 min. Chill remaining marinade until later.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 F and heat olive oil in an oven proof frying pan large enough to hold all four breasts over medium heat. (If you don't have an oven proof frying pan, like me, you'll have to transfer the chicken to a baking dish for baking.) Sear the chicken in the pan for 3-4 min per side or until golden brown.
4. As the chicken is cooking, in a small frying pan saute the sliced mushrooms in butter.
5. Brush each seared chicken breast with a little of the reserved honey mustard marinade. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika.
6. Stack two pieces of cooked bacon, crosswise, on each chicken breast. Spoon the sauteed mushrooms onto the bacon.
7. Spread the cheeses evenly on top of each chicken breast. Bake 7-10 min or until the cheese is thoroughly melted and starting to bubble.
8. Sprinkle each chicken breast with parsley before serving. Serve with extra honey mustard sauce.

Good Luck and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love some feedback! Unless you're being mean...